tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Dec 10 11:26:07 1997

RE: -wI' ambiguous suffix

The Klingon <-wI'> is really no more ambiguous than the English <-er>.
Consider the word "printer": it can mean either a device which prints or
a person or business which prints. "I sent the document to the printer"
these days could mean I am strolling down the hall to pick it up from
the beige device, or it could mean I am driving down the street to Ed's
printing and donut shop.

We also have "stapler", which is used exclusively (as far as I know) for
the device, and "baker", which is used almost as exclusively for the
person. Klingon uses <-wI'> a bit more broadly than English uses <-er>,
primarily because English has a much larger vocabulary. Klingon also
allows <-wI'> on intransitive verbs, allowing words like <ghungwI'>,
which the English <-er> cannot do.

As far as a pen or pencil, I've always favored <ghItlhmeH taj>: even on
Earth, pens do resemble small knives, and I would expect the resemblance
to be more pronounced with Klingon writing tools. This is no better than
any other speculation, though, and I would certainly not expect it to be
universally understood.

pagh