tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Dec 06 23:07:05 1997

Re: KLBC simple phrases from Klingon 2

ja' Joel Peter Anderson <[email protected]>:
>...For example, I only presented a few of the verbal prefixes; the
>ones you suggest "cho-" and "yI-" were not given.

If {yI-} is not one of the available verb prefixes, "Give me chocolate"
should not be one of the example phrases to be translated!  It's fine to
start with a limited set of vocabulary and grammatical tools, as long as
the exercises can be well-translated using them.  Without the imperative
prefixes, though, you shouldn't ask people to translate imperative ideas.

>I should perhaps update the page to offer some other choices, or at least
>note that I am NOT suggesting the translations I offer are the ONLY "right
>answers".

That would be fine -- except the translations you have using {-Daq} where
{-vaD} is called for are actually *wrong* answers. :-/  Some of the others
sound a bit odd, but I'm not going to complain all that strongly about the
choice of vocabulary unless you're actually intending to use those example
sentences to teach people Klingon.  If they're just intended to give brief
exposure to the language, it isn't worth arguing about.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level