tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Dec 06 14:58:41 1997

Re: KLBC simple phrases from Klingon 2

At 08:03 97-12-02 -0800, Phil wrote:

}I went to http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/4854/klin2.htm

Beware of net tlhIngan Hol.  Some of it is atrocious.  This page is
grammatical but limitations of vocabulary and grammar cramp its style.

}This is a place where they give you simple phrases to translate. I
}need more of those...

Not too simple:

When the memory bank of a computer fails, a catastrophe occurs.
Qov can answer KLBCs because her new computer works.
The sky seems cold.
The soldier gave a knife to the citizen so she could defend herself.
Where have all the young men gone?
He saw the sister suddenly get angry again.
Before I leave I want a book.
You and your friends are evil.
You dock that ship or I'll cripple your targ.
The entire world is happy today.
Whom did you meet on the way to church?

} jIHDaq yuch Danob qoj qaSuv  <-> give me chocolate or I fight you
}
}wouldn't this be better if they used
}
} jIHDaq yuch yInob qoj qaSuv

You are right that {yInob} means "give" (the command) and {Danob} means "you
give" (the statement).  I must have missed this one when I looked at the
page, or he's changed it.  The sentence is un-Klingon, and contains a couple
of other problems.  The way Klingons say "do this or else ..." is "if you
don't do this, then ..."

It should be:

jIHvaD yuch Danobbe'chugh vaj qaSuv
or
yuch chonobbe'chugh vaj qaSuv

See section 6.8 in the addendum to confirm that the indirect object takes
{-vaD} not {-Daq}.  Notice that what in English is the indirect object (I'm
making no statement about what sort of object it is in Klingon) can be
indicated with the verb prefix in Klingon.  I'm just touching this, not
explaining it.

}My other problem is that they ask to translate
}
}You throw me the ball
}
}they have  -> jIHDaq moq Dabach
}I have     -> moq chobach

It's {moQ}, not {*moq}.
}Why is mine not correct ?

Not incorrect.  Different meaning.  Probably better.

{jIHDaq moQ Dabach} means you throw the ball to me, to my location.  It
could also mean you throw the ball towards me, or at me.  It doesn't imply
youu're throwing the ball in order for me to catch it.

If in Klingon baseball the pitcher is called {bachwI'} and the first baseman
{'Iv}, then {'IvvaD moQ bach bachwI'} - "the pitcher throws the ball to 'Iv"
but {qetwI'Daq moQ bach 'Iv}  "'Iv throws the ball at the runner."

}I understand they empasize the location where the ball should be
}thrown, but using throw as a verb wouldn't this always be implicit ?

You're actually using the prefix to denote an English indirect objct, as
above in the {yuch nob} example.

}Do I always need to specify the locative with a verb like throw, go,
}etc.

No.

}As I understand it, their translation is
}
}	You throw the ball at me.
}
}And I'm not sure it's the same as
}
}	You throw me the ball

Right.  I should read the whole post before replying. :)

}The first one seems part of a threat  ;)
}	You throw the ball at me one more time and...

But you now know THAT would be {wa'logh jIHDaq moQ Dabachqa'chugh vaj ...}

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level