tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Dec 06 14:58:37 1997

Re: 11/27 KLBC

At 01:02 97-12-02 -0800, Dawut wrote:
}HovpoH 97919.9
}
}parmaqqaywIj ghaH MSala'e'  *

You already corrected yourself on {parmaqaywI'}.

}tlhIngan Hol mu'ghom ghajbe'taHvIS vum MSala *

batlh vum.  mu'ghom Hutlhlu'taHvIS Qatlh Qu'.  M'SalavaD mu'ghom ngevqang
vay' 'e' vIqaw.  qaSbe''a'?

}MSalavaD tlhIngan Hol Delbogh jabbI'IDmey vIngeHtaH *

maj.

}Qov wrote:
}>loDnalwI' ghaH Dawut'e' *
}>Use the pronoun as well as the noun, and put {-'e'} on the noun.
}
}How would this manifest in the sentence, "I am MSala's husband"? *

M'Sala loDnal jIH

When the subject is a pronoun then it is straightforward.  cf. {tlhIngan maH}.

}loDnalDaj ghaH jIH'e'  <or>  loDnalDaj jIH'e'   ???

It's only when the subject is a noun that the noun and pronoun must be used.

}<thing2> <pronoun> <thing1>'e'
}Does the pronoun refer to Thing1 or Thing2?

I can't think of many examples where it wouldn't apply to both: if one noun
is the other, then they would have to take the same prounoun. That said:
Thing 1.  The pronoun is part of the subject.

{loDvetlh jIH}  "I was that man"

{yIH QIp ghaH Bill Gates'e'}  "Bill Gates is a stupid tribble."
{Bill Gates 'oH yIHvetlh QIp'e'} "That stupid tribble is Bill Gates."

(I asked my husband for the name of 'a well-known person I can safely insult'.)

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level