tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Dec 02 10:23:49 1997

Re: Qapla'?

In article <[email protected]>, Alan Anderson
<[email protected]> writes
>Why did Okrand decide to address the Type-5-ness of {-laH} and {-lu'}
>in _Klingon for the Galactic Traveler_?  What possible motivation
>might there be for giving us information on something that we're not
>actually supposed to *use* but we're supposed to recognize it when we
>see/hear it?  I had a random thought this morning, and I figured I'd
>share it with you.  For what it's worth:  "One can succeed."
>
>-- ghunchu'wI'

Newbie and different language but...

in French lessons, you are taught about the past historic (le passe
simple).  You are outright told that you should never ever write it and
will never ever be asked to put something into it.  BUT you will have to
read it (it's only used in a literary context, never spoken (unless
you're reading something aloud)).

Same sort of thing here, I suppose.

--

James Coupe (remove items of clothing to reply)

I shall personally come around to your houses and drag you out by the scruff of
the neck.  I shall belt you around the mouth and mouth you around the belt.  Do
you understand what I'm saying?

Back to archive top level