tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Aug 30 22:17:00 1997

Two more Okrandian puns

Whilst keyboarding the new vocabulary tonight from KGT into my own AKD, I
found two more puns that I don't think anyone has commented on:

{jey'naS}  "double headed ax" (n)

Janus was the ancient Roman god of doorways, beginnings, and the rising and
setting of the sun. He was usually represented as having one head with two
bearded faces back to back, looking in opposite directions. Patron of the
month of January (which was named after him), he could both look back to
the year just ended as well as forward to the year to come.

{lul}      "fight, battle (relatively major fight)" (v)

Of course, to "lull" (to soothe or quiet, to let up or subside) is the
opposite of fierce, intense fighting.

-- Voragh

Back to archive top level