tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Aug 28 07:41:43 1997

RE: "Soldiers of the Empire" and KGT

>There are two reasons for the Klignon language to exist.  A.) For us, the
>{Hol}-philes, who sit around and actually learn it, and B.) so that Star
>Trek's favorite alien race has something to say.  As much as certain
>elements of our linguistic elite here may not like it, reason B is
>ultimately more important for the big picture.  Remember, Klingon is not
>just any created language, it is a created language with a purpose, and a
>history.  Marc has little choice but to cover for the writers; whether
they
>use it or not, the language is written for THEM, and we just play in their
>sandbox.

Not quite.  There is only one reason for the language to exist: profit.
For the writers a few choice unintelligible phrases would do (after all
that's what they end up with).

>There is a point where there is ALMOST a rift between the two groups
>operating, where the writers simply make up words at random, and the
>linguists say "F-them, they're wrong."  Luckilly, Marc Okrand has not
>fallen prey to that rift, and compensates with ideas like {no' Hol} and by
>making Paramount's words official.  In other words, he tries as hard as he
>can to cater to all of our needs and wants.  Personally, I find it fun.

>-mIqIraH

It's "fun" as long as you're content in the fan-boy role.  Once you try and
step out of that role it ceases to be fun because Viacom "owns" the
language, even original prose written in the language.  Simple fact; they
believe that they own all expressions in the language and will chase you
down if you attempt sell or distribute your composition.  Even try
'working' with them, it's not fun, right Lawrence?  They simply are not
interested in 'fun'.  If you want fun stick with being a fan-boy.  Or...

[qeylIS mupwI'] yImuv 'ej tlhabchoHmeH tlhInganpu' [Viacom] wISuvtaH

HetaQ

Back to archive top level