tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Aug 27 17:55:46 1997

Re: "Soldiers of the Empire" and KGT

At 05:03 PM 8/27/97 -0700, qoror wrote:

>	qoror here.  Frankly, all of Marc Okrand's shameless catering to the
>Paramount writers (Separ, mevyap, lIngta', etc.) disgusts me.  It's also amuses
>me, and I can't quite analyze it.

The game Marc has chosen to play is to observe the Klingon language as it is
presented, and make sense of it.  I think he's done a fabulous job, and has
given us the cue to speculate on what we are hearing (no' Hol?  puq Hol?
Another dialect?) every time Paramount attempts to speak Klingon.  Real
languages are very messy. I think even concerted effort on the part of the
Esperantists hasn't kept that language free of ungrammatical slang and
regionalisms.

>Here's something very underhanded based on
>"Soldiers of the Empire."  First it describes a ritual done pretty much
>verbatim
>in that show, then "...and then [the captain] reverts to the ancient language
>form no' Hol and says, {Delaq Do'}, meaning something like 'Take your
stations,'
>a phrase never heard in any other context."
>	AAARRGGGGHHHH!

Hee hee. There are many examples in English where older forms of the
language or even of other languages are frozen in ritual. "Til death us do
part" "Oyez! Oyez!" "Quod erat demonstratum."  Stop cursing at Paramount for
errors and start
marvelling at how much the language has changed. :)

Qov  ([email protected])
Beginning Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level