tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Aug 27 17:16:26 1997

Re: "Soldiers of the Empire" and KGT

At 05:06 PM 8/27/97 -0700, you wrote:
>	qoror here.  Frankly, all of Marc Okrand's shameless catering to the
>Paramount writers (Separ, mevyap, lIngta', etc.) disgusts me.  It's also
amuses
>me, and I can't quite analyze it.  Here's something very underhanded based on
>"Soldiers of the Empire."  First it describes a ritual done pretty much
verbatim
>in that show, then "...and then [the captain] reverts to the ancient language
>form no' Hol and says, {Delaq Do'}, meaning something like 'Take your
stations,'
>a phrase never heard in any other context."
>	AAARRGGGGHHHH!

Although covering the writers' asses may get a little frustrating, I think
it is sort of cool, myself.  It is fun to argue for weeks and get angry at
the writers, and then find out later that they were "right" the whole time!
;-)  Backpeddling?  Yep.  Aggrivating?  Sometimes.  Neccessary?  You betcha.

There are two reasons for the Klignon language to exist.  A.) For us, the
{Hol}-philes, who sit around and actually learn it, and B.) so that Star
Trek's favorite alien race has something to say.  As much as certain
elements of our linguistic elite here may not like it, reason B is
ultimately more important for the big picture.  Remember, Klingon is not
just any created language, it is a created language with a purpose, and a
history.  Marc has little choice but to cover for the writers; whether they
use it or not, the language is written for THEM, and we just play in their
sandbox.

There is a point where there is ALMOST a rift between the two groups
operating, where the writers simply make up words at random, and the
linguists say "F-them, they're wrong."  Luckilly, Marc Okrand has not
fallen prey to that rift, and compensates with ideas like {no' Hol} and by
making Paramount's words official.  In other words, he tries as hard as he
can to cater to all of our needs and wants.  Personally, I find it fun.

-mIqIraH

P.S.  This isn't directed particularly towards qoror, I just wanted to
share my thoughts, and his message provided a convenient segue way.

Back to archive top level