tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Aug 22 18:13:24 1997

Re: The Unknown PK sentence -- At Last!

ghItlh voragh
>Though {pegh} is glossed in TKD as "keep something secret," Okrand seems to
>use it for "be secret" as well.  Cf. the line from the jitney scene in CK:
>
>	Daqvam nuq?       What is this place?
>	pegh De'vetlh.    That is classified information.
>			  (i.e. "That information is secret.")
>
>Translating this as "That information keeps (something) secret" is
>nonsense.  And if this were actually the noun {pegh}, then the copula is
>missing -- you would expect {pegh 'oH De'vetlh'e'} "That information is a
>secret."  Unless it's another dialect of course.  {{;-)

As I look over my initial message, I realize that I shouldn't have said "new."
It just came in my mind at the same time.

>It sounds like Okrand put all of his post-TKD notes into the new book,
>which I still haven't seen. Is there another entry for {pegh} in the KGT
>glossary?

Nope.  But he does seem to be making a lot more new entries for verbs that are
*already* verbs.  For instance, now, {chu'} has three different meanings, all as
a verb.  Of course, one's an adjectival verb, but that's not too important.
tugh paq yISuq!  tlhIngan Hol HaDwI'pu'vaD 'utchu'.
Qapla'
qoror

Back to archive top level