tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Aug 22 16:57:50 1997

Re: Klingonaase page created!

McReynolds wrote:

> At 09:32 PM 8/20/97 -0700, you wrote:
> >I have both the first and second edition Klingon rules supplements to
> >ST:RPG around here somewhere.  I also have some of the other Klingon
> >modules.  The original edition of the Klingon rule supplement was
> >co-authored by JMF.  I'm not sure about the second edition, and I know
> >the modules were done by FASA staffers.
>
> So, only the rule supplement is "canonical" klingonaase, and the
> Recognition manuals and other modules are not?  You'll have to excuse my
> inexperience with these RPG terms.  JMF only worked on that first thing?

Okay...  For the first edition of "The Klingons" says "Game design by
Fantasimulations Associates.  Designers: John M. Ford, (blah blah)."
The SECOND edition says "Writing: Fantasimulations Associates (based on
original material by John M. Ford)."

> That actually would explain a lot of the "abbrerant" klingonaase I see in
> the RPG stuff, at least when compared with The Final Reflection (let's call
> it TFR for convenience).

Yeah.  There's really no rhyme or reason to FASA's klingonaase except
"it sounds cool"... at least, that *I'm* aware of.

> >There were a couple of Klingon Ship Recognition Guides as well; these
> >were also not "canonical" klingonaase.
>
> Okay... what do you think?  I'd like to separate the "canon" and
> "non-canon," with canon being defined as From Ford, while non-canon is From
> FASA.  Unfortunately, I won't know what came from where until I a.) get my
> hands on the material, or b.) someone tells me! ;-)

The first edition of "The Klingons" was written concurrently with TFR,
and FASA and JMF collaborated.  The information flowed both ways (I'm
paraphrasing the introduction to the game manual).  I don't see any
"new" words in the game rules, but it does explain many of the terms
used in TFR.

You wrote earlier that you had a copy of the first edition rules
coming.  I don't think there's much in the second edition that would be
helpful to you (for linguistic purposes, anyway).  As I said earlier,
when I get a chance I'll go through them and get back to you.

--
Qob la' (tlh.w.D. quttaj ra'wI')       [email protected]
tlhIngan Hol yejHaD ghojwI'            http://www.frontiernet.net/~qob/

Back to archive top level