tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Aug 20 06:58:32 1997

KGT: wo'maj 'oH wo''a' tIn 'e'

> This is the only sort of thing that worries me about the new book.  Now that
> we have slang ways to say things which needed to be recast before, people are
> going to start relying on these slang terms, and never learn "proper" Klingon.

yIleS!

*THIS* is the thing that delights me about the new book.  While a cynical
observor *could* say the abundance of newly canonical oddities was Okrand
backpedaling to patch up Paramount's many linguistic sins, I'd prefer to
say he is showing just how diverse and varied the Klingon languages are.

I would hope that it would endorse a spirit of tolerance toward those
whose tlhIngan Hol does not match our own grammatical expectations (much
as we turn a blind eye toward everyday communications that are riddled
with spelling and grammatical errors).

Our empire is indeed a great big empire !

	yIrojqu'!

   joel anderson * [email protected] * [email protected]
 **mIghghachvo' yImej 'ej yIQaQ; roj yInej 'ej Dochvam yItlha'**
    http://members.aol.com/JPKlingon * [email protected]
 **Depart from evil, and do good; Seek peace, and pursue it**

Back to archive top level