tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Aug 18 20:24:03 1997

Re: nuqDaq bIyIntaH SoH'e'?

>Date: Fri, 15 Aug 1997 00:15:48 -0700 (PDT)
>From: [email protected]
>
>In a message dated 97-08-14 02:11:15 EDT, Lieven writes:
>
><< > nuqDaq bIyIntaH SoH'e'?  >>
>
>KGT to the rescue:  We now have the word {Dab} for "dwell at."  At first
>glance, I would say we can now use {nuqDaq bIDab} and answer with
>{ColoradoDaq jIDab}.
>
>I wonder, though, if in the end we will discover we must drop the {-Daq} and
>make the place "dwelled at" a direct object.  This would produce {Colorado
>vIDab}.

The definition explicitly contains the "in/at"; I'd say you certainly can
say {*Colorado* vIDab}.

>jaD = throw around, hurl about

Near as I can tell, these aren't prepositions (i.e. they're not being used
prepositionally.  I don't think {jaD} means "throw about" in the sense that
{juH vIjaD} would mean "I throw [something?  nothing?] about the house".)
They're adverbs, meaning "all over the place."  I'd expect {betleH vIjaD}
to mean "I throw the betleH around, indiscriminately."  This is not using
"about" or "around" as a preposition.  The object of the verb remains the
thing thrown, not the thing "around which" something is thrown.

>pID = coat with [herbed mixture]

No, the herbed mixture is part of the verb.  It's the food that's coated
which is the object.

This struck me as a nice verb that doesn't translate neatly into English.
Every cook does this, but does it have a simple translation?  I think I've
heard "dredge" used for this.

>rey = squeeze and stretch out [windbag]

Again, this is an adverb.  "out" doesn't take an object; the object of the
verb is the thing squeezed and stretched  (come to think of it, is "out"
ever a preposition?  I suppose I can say "he walked out the door," but
isn't that short for "out of the door"?)

>tlhaw' = hit with fist [drum]

The "with" governs the "fist" which is inherent in the verb.  The object of
the verb remains that which is hit.

>tlhIS = spit out

Adverbial "out"

>'om = fend off