tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Aug 14 21:05:44 1997

Re: KGT

[email protected] on behalf of Neal Schermerhorn wrote:

> I think it's ok - I'd understand it. Perhaps *yIghuHmoH!* would be better
> for "Warning!".

That would be "cause to be alerted!"  What he means is {yIghuH} "be alerted!"

> ghuH = prepare for, be alerted to - needs an object, yes?

Can take an object, but doesn't need one.  {jIghuH} means "I am prepared for
(things in general)."

> ghuHmoH = alert, OR lit. cause someone or something to be alerted to or
> prepared for... needs agent AND object!?!?!

I'm not sure how charghwI' sees this one.  I might say something like {yIHvaD
qaghuHmoH} "I alert you to the tribble."  "I cause you to be alerted (to
things in general), and then apply that to tribbles."

Perhaps charghwI' would see it as {SoHvaD yIH vIghuHmoH} "I
cause-to-be-alerted-to the tribble.  I do this for you."

Either one makes sense, really.  However, any time I come across a concept
like this, I just break it up or recast it.

qaghuHmoHmo' yIH Dalegh.

> Is it OK to use  -moH on such an inherently transitive verb, and not use a
> proper object,

I don't think Klingon has anything that could be called an inherently
transitive verb, though I might argue that we have some inherently
*intransitive* verbs.  We've gotten a few examples of these in KGT.

> as in Duncan's example above? If ghuH was an either/or verb
> like Sop or yaj, it would be clear. But would this _require_ an object?

Remember the "things in general" concept.  Grammatically, there's no
difference in Klingon between the English sentences "I eat" and "I eat things
in general."

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian