tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Aug 12 13:34:19 1997

Re: The Wish List

According to Alexander Greene:

> Can you let me in on the 'aqnaw joke? Being from the opposite side of
> the pond to most of you, most common American brand names tend to go
> over my head, mostly because they go under different names over here.

In America, we have these really dreadful commercials on TV for
various kitchen appliances which nobody really needs. The sales
pitch has a peculiar style to it which is supposed to make you
excited and want to run to your phone immediately and buy this
junk.

Whatever they are selling, be it the veg-o-matic which, we are
told, makes THOUSANDS of Julian Fries (whatever THEY are) in
just seconds, or the bass-o-mattic (a late night TV joke
advertisement where people stick an entire fish in a
blender...) or whatever, they always include odd catch phrases,
like "But wait! There's more!"

Another of these catch phrases is "Act now and you also will
receive..." and the thing you usually will receive is a small
knife that they demonstrate cutting through everything from
rotten tomatoes to bricks. The demonstrators always have very
graceful hands. They look like magicians preforming slight of
hand.

So, 'aqnaw is "act now" and refers to a little knife which cuts
through anything.

tabum tssssssss

tlhaQ 'e' nIDba' *Okrand*.

> So, Klingon for The Galactic Traveller is finally out. majQa' pIn'a'.
> Does he have the words for "resist (v)," "resistance (n)" and "be
> futile? (v)"

resist, oppose, confront, face = qaD
resist, fend off = 'om

Nothing for "be futile", though {Qapbe'bej} probably covers
that fairly well.

> Just a thought.

> email: [email protected]
> Web: http://io.newi.ac.uk/students/mi950012/index.htm