tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Aug 12 05:46:04 1997

Re: more on vegh

Dr. Lawrence M. Schoen wrote:

> ghItlhta' janSIy
>
> >> Now, here's a question for debate. I think that when walking
> >> "through" the halls and chambers of a ship I would expect to hear
> >> the tlhIngan word used for forests etc. What do you think?
>
> 'ej ghItlhta' charghwI'
>
> > Well, chambers, yes, but halls might be equated with tunnels. I
> > might use {vegh} with hall... though having other doors in the
> > hall might make it inappropriate.
> >
> > Hmmm. Good example. If I were entering one end of a hall going
> > to the other end, ignoring the doors at the sides, I might make
> > a slightly poetic use of {vegh}, but otherwise, I'm starting to
> > agree with you. I think it is likely the wrong verb for halls
> > OR chambers.
>
> And now I'll take another stab at this beastie:
>
> Perhaps then we might consider that any use of <<vegh>> requires or
> implies the existence of a **threshold**. This works for doors
> obviously
> (and yes, even the unenclosed gateways) but clearly not for a stroll
> through a forest or the halls of a ship. A bird through an open
> window,
> but not a  baseball through a closed one. At first glance this seems
> work rather nicely, but it also means that "through" might not be the
> best translation in all cases.
>
> Lawrence
> (who enjoys beating a dead horse as much as anyone)
>
> P.S.  Hmmm, how would you say "enjoys beating a dead horse" anyway...?

Well now, let's see : the klingon word for horse would be * 'eSroH*
and... -  just  joking.How would you say "I dislike people who don't
answer their email" - I have quite a few people on this listserv that
I'd like to send that message to.
{{8-0>
cha'wIgh.

Back to archive top level