tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Aug 11 23:32:20 1997

Re: Duj DoqDaq mayIntaH Hoch ...

ja' Qov:
>mutojchu'ta'.  jonwI' vIgho'bejpu'.

"ambush" DaDellaw'. :-)

>We don't have a huge body of Klingon culture and literature to draw
>on for allusion or symbolism, but what we have we beat senseless.

Daja'qa'laH...

chay' jIHvaD tlhaQchoHchu' <ghobe', SuD>?  jISovbe', 'ach tlhaQbej!
pab mu'tay' je poQ Hol, 'ach potlhba' je nugh tIgh je.
qaSlaw'pu'bogh tlhIngan wanI'Hey 'ang <Hov leng> qunqoq.
tlhIngan Hol wIHaDtaHvIS bov wISIQlI'.  vI'taH wanI'na' DIqawbogh.

I'm still trying to figure out exactly how {ghobe', SuD!} ceased to
be a cryptic pseudo-humorous phrase for me and actually became funny.
There's obviously more to a language than just vocabulary and grammar;
shared cultural experience is important.  Klingon as a real language
has been around long enough to start accumulating *actual* culture in
addition to the simulated culture portrayed in Star Trek.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level