tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Aug 11 12:27:41 1997

NOT KLBC: wej

I love stuff like this. But it is KLBC, so I should leave it
for SuStel. Arrrgh!

But I'm a FORMER BG. Now, I just play one on TV...

...can't... stop... my... self...

my... fingers... fight... my... mind...

According to [email protected]:

> {wej} means not yet (adv)
>
> TKD 4.5 there is an example shown:
> {wej vIlegh}
> "I don't see him/her yet"
>
> I want to translate following saying:
> "A stranger is a friend you haven't met yet."

My, how... unKlingon...

> 1 - should I use {ghomlu'} or {Daghom} ?

Try {qIH}.

> 2 - {jup wej Daghompu'} ?

Adverbials preceed direct objects. There is an exception for
cases in which the object is the point of focus with {-'e'},
but that is rare and you shouldn't worry about that since it
does not apply here...

> 3 - How will this work with the to-be construction?

I think this is a proverb that does not translate well into
Klingon in part because it is such an alien concept and in part
because it is a to-be kind of thing. SuStel will give you the
REAL advice here, but I can't stop myself from recasting this
with what I think are better tools.

In English, this is like a joke. It is a punchline with a twist
that is very clever and effective. Klingon has similar twists
and effectively clever opportunities, but they won't
necessarily occur in expressions of the same thought.

I'd say:

mIgh nuv DaghovlaHbe'bogh 'e' yIpIHQo'! chaq DaqIHpu'DI' tugh
juppu'na' bomoj.

At its root, you are saying that everyone you have not yet met
will become your friend.

juppu'lI' mojlaH wej Hoch DaqIHbogh.

It seems like a naive idea, even for a human. I prefer {moj}
over {chaH} because it is enough of a stretch to the Klingon
psyche to imagine that an unknown entity might become a friend.
Friends are so special to a Klingon that it would be
disrespectful to offer that status to someone before you even
meet them for the first time.

That makes it impossible to say that a person you have not yet
met already satisfies the criteria of friendship. They must
EARN that status, and they cannot do that before you meet them.
They may earn it quickly thereafter, but not before. So, they
mighT BECOME your friend, but they are not yet your friend.

Also, not using {chaH} or {ghaH} allows you to avoid the
awkward grammar here, since {Hoch} is supposed to be treated
grammatically as singular, while juppu'lI' should be plural,
but a pronoun should agree with both the subject and object.
You don't have that problem with {moj}.

> muHwI'
> Stardate 97612.5

charghwI'