tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Aug 10 09:23:33 1997

Re: buy' ngop?

In a message dated 97-08-08 13:11:50 EDT, SuStel writes about AAF song:

<< > I recommend {'ej} conjoining verbs.  This gives:  yoHbogh 'ej matlhbogh
 > Suvwi' Say'moHchu' may' 'Iw

 I think the reason we see funny grammar in this song is so that it fits the
 meter.  If you use {'ej}, it doesn't.

 By the way, we now have a canon example of two verbs of quality describing
one
 noun, and not being used as two adjectivally acting verbs.  It's a song, so
 the meter must be taken into account, but it specifically is NOT {SuvwI' yoH

 matlh} or {SuvwI' yoH 'ej matlh}.  What it IS is kinda fuzzy, but that's
okay
 by me . . .

I agree that a song must critically consider meter.  I had an OLD English
teacher who hated Elvis Presley's "Love Me Tender" and insisted that even a
song must obey grammar rules.  But, of course, Love Me Tenderly just doesn't
work, now, does it?

If we could recast the lyrics' word order, SuvwI' yoH matlh without any
conjunction would be perfect grammar according to what I have learned about
tlhIngan Hol grammar so far.

peHruS

Back to archive top level