tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Aug 08 16:51:47 1997

Re: loDvam ghaH 'Iv'e' ?

ja' SuSvaj:
>There is nothing wrong with his sentence.  In Klingon either "loDvam ghaH
>'Iv'e'" or "'Iv ghaH loDvam'e'" are both grammatical.  But perhapse this
>issue should be tackled by the grammarians.

I've always tried to treat "to be" pronouns as indicating something other
than equivalence.  For that, we have {rap} and {nIb}.  The way I prefer to
interpret them yields something like "is a/the" instead of just "is".

'ejDo' 'oH 'entepray''e'.  _Enterprise_ is a starship.

It doesn't work quite the same the other way around:

'enterpray''e' 'oH 'ejDo''e'.  A starship is the _Enterprise_.

One can always find situations where this second order is appropriate.  If,
for instance, a specific starship has been singled out for consideration,
on might say "As for the starship, it is the _Enterprise_."  While it is
indeed just as grammatical as "As for the _Enterprise_, it is a starship",
it does not have anything like the same meaning.

So I'd choose between {loDvam ghaH 'Iv'e'} and {'Iv ghaH loDvam'e'} based
on the desired pattern of the answer.  In this case, I think the latter is
more appropriate; the answer I give is {nuv vISovbe'bogh ghaH loDvam'e'.}

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level