tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Aug 06 20:21:23 1997

Re: KLBC : AAF continued

ghItlh cha'wIgh:

>Well, Mr. Shush-tell, I'm sorry you feel that way. After the
>considerable effort that I put into the translation of the Australian
>national anthem I think you could at least give me a run down of the
>main points of where I went wrong.

Hey, SuvwI'! I really don't think SuStel is giving you the brushoff. He
doesn't do that in my experience. But perhaps he feels the main point where
you went wrong was in attempting a translation of this work right now. The
fact is that the Klingon language is American-English based, and you're
trying to translate Austrailian English, and a rather old version of it
too.

SuStel is not saying, I am sure, that this shouldn't be translated, or that
you shouldn't do it. But just that there are so many points of difficulty
to this, even for an experienced Klingon linguist such as SuStel. Anyway,
we are regularly advised to translate less, and speak/write our own
thoughts more. His response to you seems in line with this philosophy.

And now a joke.

chay' tlhIngan 'oH qeylIS'e' 'e' wISov?

verengan 'oHchugh qeylIS'e', maja'be'chuq *Daje'be'chugh, vaj bIHegh*;
maja'chuq *Daje'be'taHchugh vaj bIHeghchoH*!!

Qermaq

Back to archive top level