tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Aug 06 08:57:48 1997

Re: New word from Okrand

At 08:31 PM 8/4/97 -0700, veghwI' wrote:
>ghItlh peHruS
>>
>>>I thought "a woman goes through a forest" is okay as long as she does
>>>not go through any solid matter within that forest.
>
>'ej ghItlh SuSvaj
>
>> This is what I origenaly thought as well, but the problem is that,
>> unlike a tunnel, or a door,the forest was not specifically created
>> for the purpose of going through. That's why "vegh" does not apply
>> here.
>
>No, I have to disagree.  The intention or purpose of the object one is
>passing through does not strike me as particularly critical.
>
>A more relevant aspect seems to be that the object is enclosed, as
>someone else has already noted.  Consider that if I'm trapped in a blind
>alley by some Romulans firing disrupters and one of the beams which
>misses me conveniently blows an egress in the previously dead-end wall
>of the alley, then you can bet your socks that I'm going to go through
>and make good my escape.  And I'd use <<vegh>>, because I'm going
>through the wall (much like a tunnel), but note that the Rommie never
>"intended" that hole for that purpose.

Hmmm.  I don't remember the concept of the passage being "enclosed" as part
of the definition of "vegh."  After all, a gate is not necessarily entierly
enclosed.  A gate through a fence usually does not have anything above it,
if you catch my meaning.  I realy got the impression that what was
important was the fact the gate was intended for the purpose of allowing
access through the fence.

SuSvaj

Back to archive top level