tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Aug 05 23:37:32 1997

Re: KLBC: Klingon CD

On Stardate 97592.9 muHwI' wrote:

> I just watched the Holodeck Immersion studies.
> tlhIngan Hol paQDI'norgh vIleghpu'.

QaQ, qar'a'?

> I saw some people play "Kahless' Eyes".
> qeylIS mInDu' reHlu' vIleghpu'.

We have {Quj} which means "play a game."  This would probably be better.
{reH} might mean a more general sort of playing, or it might mean an entirely
different sort of playing (like playing a musical instrument, or playing a
recording).

You also forgot the Sentence As Object pronoun.  Furthermore, you put a Type 7
verb suffix on the second verb of the SAO (The Big No-No).

qeylIS mInDu' Qujlu'pu' 'e' vIlegh.

> Join us, play a round!
> ghomuv, wa' Quj yIQul!

"Research one game"?

ghomuv!  wa'logh yIQuj!

> Worf once said "I do not play games". (DSN: W. of W. )
> Quj vIQulbe' 'e' jatlhpu' wo'rIv.
> or
> Quj Qulbe' wo'rIv jatlh ghaH
> or what?

Verbs of saying like {jatlh} do not take SAO pronouns.  The quote must be a
direct quote, and it may be placed on either side of the sentence.

The verb {Quj} covers the concept of "play a game," so there's no need to add
an additional object of {Quj}.

jatlhpu' wo'rIv jIQujbe'.
or
jIQujbe' jatlhpu' wo'rIv.

Worf has said, "I do not play games."

> But that definitely is a game!
> Dochvetlh 'oH Quj'a''e'

The real subject of this sentence should be {Dochvetlh}.  This should go in
the subject position.  It's not wrong the way you have it, but you're not
focusing on the game rather than on "that thing."

The noun suffix you want on {Quj} is {-na'}, not {-'a'}.  Remember, {-'a'} is
the augmentative.

'ach Qujna' 'oH Dochvetlh'e'!

I'd even forget the {Dochvetlh} (this seems most appropriate when pointing at
something, not in referring to a previous subject), and say

'ach Qujna' 'oH qeylIS mInDu''e'!

> By the way, is there a "correct" sequence for
> the detonator at the end of the "game"?

HIja'.  tachDaq QoQ yIQoy.  jorwI' Dachu'Ha' 'e' DanIDDI', QoQ yIqaw.

> What is a "kwahomm"?
> Could it be {Qa'Hom}?

HIja'.  jatlhHa'ba' ghawran.

> "Sleep well, but sleep light!"
> maj yIQong 'ach loQ yIQong

{maj} is not an adverbial (nor is it a verb).  It is only used as an
exclamation, an expression of satisfaction.

If you want to talk about sleeping well, talk about sleeping perfectly.

yIQongchu' 'ach loQ yIQong.

> "Act and you shall have dinner, think and you shall be dinner!"
> bIvangchugh vaj 'uQ Daghaj 'ej bIQubchugh vaj 'uQ 'oH SoH'e' !

You cannot mix pronouns like that.  The last part would have to be {vaj 'uQ
SoH}.

A better version of this has already been devised:

bIvangchugh 'uQ DaSop.  bIQubchugh 'uQ Damoj.

Notice that it does not rely so heavily on the original English.  Make full
use of Klingon vocabulary!

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian