tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Aug 05 09:23:47 1997

Re: We've golden soil

(You should have posted this as KLBC, but since you did not, I will
answer...)
In einer eMail vom 05.08.97  16:07:25, schreiben Sie:

> We've golden soil and wealth for toil.
> yav SuDwI' maghaj 'ej vum *in exchange for* Huch

{maghaj} means "we have". Here you need the prefix for we-him/her/it:
{wIghaj}

I think you could also say something like
{yav SuD vum *in exchange for* Huch je DIghaj}
   (KLBC: do I need {DI-} or {wI-} ?)

> 2. golden : I used the verb *SuD* [to be green,yellow,blue] with the
> noun-making suffix *wI'* as I think yellow is as close as I'm going to
> find to gold.

Why did you make a noun of it? And you can't even use {-wI} here.
{-wI} is used to make a noun of a verb when the verb is a verb of action.
Like in english "work" + "-er" = "worker".
{SuDwI'} would be translated "one/thin which is/does be yellow"
Since {SuD} also means "to gamble", this is "gambler".
I think it's enough to say {yav SuD} "yellow ground"

> Does the verb need to be repeated after *'ej*?
I don't know for sure, but {'ej} is a conjunction joining sentences, and you
don't often have two sentences with the same verb. The only example I could
find for that case is TKW-8: {tIqIpqu' 'ej nom tIqIp}, and here the verb is
repeated. In your case you don't need that. Instead, use {je}.

> pechuS
Be noisy!
> cha'wIgh

muHwI'