tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Aug 03 13:55:35 1997

Re: Other tidbits, WAS: RE: vegh

In a message dated 97-07-22 13:33:40 EDT, SuSvaj writes:

<<
 I managed to steal enough of his time to ask him about "DungluQ."  As
 "Dung" means "Area above," I had always asumed that "DungluQ" meant "High
 sun."  I asked Okrand if this was in fact the case, and if so could we
 infer that "luQ" meant "sun."  He flatly said "No you can't."  Apparently
 it is derived from "Dung", but he did not have "high sun" in mind when
 coined the word.  In fact he said he created "DungluQ" before the paramount
 writers when they came up with "high sun.", and he was even a little ticked
 at the writers for infering "high sun."  What's the moral of this story?
 Never assume!!!!!!! >>

I agree completely.  Never assume.  I had been hoping that <DungluQ> came
from "area above" and something else, too.  I even speculated that <luQ>
could mean "straight."  Of course, it is taboo to use any such extraction.
 So, since I was not on the winning team to request a word from MO, I still
do not have a word for "straight" nor a word for "curved".

Meanwhile, I really like the choice made by the winning team.  I just hope we
get some clarification from MO soon.  Examples in sentences from him would be
nice.

peHruS

Back to archive top level