tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Apr 29 19:19:30 1997

RE: KLBC: Must

On Tue, 29 Apr 1997, David Trimboli wrote:

> No.  "You must die" is not a command, it is a statement.  No amount of
> emphasis will change the fact that this is a statement.  You are stating that
> I must die.  As a statement, this becomes {bIHeghnIS} "You need to die."  If
> you want to command me, you'll be commanding me to "Die."  {yIHegh}.
>
> Rule of thumb: don't use {-nIS} on imperative verbs.  You never command
> someone to need something.

Such as your previous statement of "yIqetnIS" being improper... as that is
an Imperative Verb error... okay so things like:

yIlegh "Look!"
yIHoH! "Kill him/her/it!"

are acceptable as much as say:

bIHoH'eghnIS "You need to kill yourself" (? Any situation where this would
be absolutely necessary, let me know...)
bIHeghnIS "You need to die.."
bIDongnIS "You need to sleep."

How am I doing so far.. ?

Name : Q'ISto'va (Eliseo Christopher d'Annunzio, Esquire)
Email: [email protected]
URL  : http://www.progsoc.uts.edu.au/~qris

Back to archive top level