tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Apr 29 17:23:13 1997

RE: KLBC: Must

[email protected] on behalf of Q'ISt'ova (Eliseo d'Annunzio, Esq.) wrote:

> Okay, then... Well, according to what you've said, SuStel, we must have a
> direct command prefix for "You-none" and the "need" verbal suffix added to
> the "to die" verb, and if we are to emphasize it we'll need to add the
> emphatic suffix...
>
> So "You MUST die" would be interpreted as "You NEED to die" and thus we'd
> have something like.. "yIHeghnISqu'" How is that?

No.  "You must die" is not a command, it is a statement.  No amount of
emphasis will change the fact that this is a statement.  You are stating that
I must die.  As a statement, this becomes {bIHeghnIS} "You need to die."  If
you want to command me, you'll be commanding me to "Die."  {yIHegh}.

Rule of thumb: don't use {-nIS} on imperative verbs.  You never command
someone to need something.

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian