tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Apr 29 17:21:49 1997

RE: Loose translation "Under foot"

[email protected] on behalf of Q'ISt'ova (Eliseo d'Annunzio, Esq.) wrote:
> We must remember that tlhIngan Hol isn't as flexible
> as English, and therefore cannot use slang or colloquial phrases expecting
> them to be understood directly.

That's not really the case.  One cannot literally translate the slang or
colloquialisms of any language into another and expect them to make much
sense.  Oh, the occasional saying may work out, but it would be the exception,
not the rule.  The problem is not that Klingon is less flexible.  The problem
is that we do not know many Klingon slang expressions and colloquialisms.  We
know a few, but not nearly as many as we know in English.  There are probably
many more in Klingon.  For a good number of Klingon expressions, see TKW.

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level