tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Apr 29 09:08:01 1997

Re: vaj KLBC

: In a message dated 97-04-28 04:12:15 EDT, SuStel writes:
:    << mu'ghomwIj wa'DIch qI'ta' Okrand, vaj
:     > vIlo'laHbe'! >>
:
: TKD p56 indicates {vaj} is an Adverb.  TKW p151 uses it in:  {nuHlIj DawIvpu
: vaj yISuv} and translates {vaj} as "so..."  I can find no instance of {vaj}'s
: having been used after a V9.  Can you?  Can you enlighten me on the usage of
: {vaj}, please.

vaj  so, then, thus, in that case (adv)
 - bIjeghbe'chugh vaj bIHegh Surrender or die! TKD
 - bIje'be'chugh vaj bIHegh Buy or die! CK
 - naDev juHlIjDaq cha'logh jISopneSchugh vaj jIquv
   It would be an honor to eat twice here at your house, your Honor. PK
 - qorDu' SaHlu'chugh 'ej matlhlu'chugh vaj wa' tlhIngan ghob potlhqu'
   devotion and loyalty to family is one of the most important Klingon
virtues. S13
 - nuHlIj DawIvpu', vaj yISuv You have chosen your weapon, so fight! TKW

Are you sure you meant a Type 9 suffix (i.e. the syntactic markers {-chugh}
etc.)? Sustel didn't use one in the bit you quoted so I don't understand
your question.

: We know from TKD that {qI'} means "sign (a treaty)."  How do we know we can
: use it for "sign (a book)?"  Please tell me your source.
:
: peHruS

I thought you were agitating for the expansion of tlhIngan Hol. I put the
reverse question to you: How do we know we *can't* use it for "sign (a
book)?" Please tell me *your* source. Before anyone asks, {qI'} isn't used
anywhere in canon. Which of course is the problem.

Hmmm... looking at it, I wonder whether {qI'} wasn't inspired by "Khitomer"
(spelled {QI'tomer} in Hol but pronounced "KIT-uh-myrrh" in English) -- the
place where the Federation-Klingon peace treaty was signed in ST6. I don't
have my TKD with me at work--is it from the appendix of material from ST5 & ST6?

-- Voragh

Back to archive top level