tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Apr 27 22:41:15 1997

RE: KLBC: first log

jatlh Edy:

> > >       But, when there are "more than one"?  How can I say it?
> >
> > What do you mean?  "There is more than one Klingon around here"?
> > {naDev tlhIngan puS tu'lu'}.  "There are many Klingons around here"?
> > {naDev tlhIngan law' tu'lu'}.
> >
> > But you never have a situation where you have two *and* three Klingons.
>
>      I know klingons like the accuracy,, but when I was translating, I
> found some words with 2, 3 *or* more meanings and I could not get a good
> translation (into  klingon) for that. Your explanation is quite good to
> solve my doubt and how I have to use  in these situations.

The fact that Klingons prefer accuracy is demonstrated by the fact that the
language is poor at handling inaccurate terms!  Klingon is (probably)
incapable of saying "two or three whatevers" *because* the language evolved in
a culture which preferred precision.  If you are unsure, you'll have to go
about it the long way: {naDev cha' tlhIngan wej tlhIngan ghap tu'lu'}.

>      Other question. There is a word for "glory"? I mean:
>      "The heart is his glory"

I'm afraid I do not understand this sentence.  There have been discussions on
how to translate "glory."  The ultimate choice will depend on context, as
usual.  In some situations, perhaps it will be {yay} or {pop}.  Maybe {quv} or
{batlh}.  There are many possibilities.

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian