tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Apr 27 22:41:14 1997

RE: KLBC: Another diary entry

jatlh QI'HoS:

> wejHu' *squash* vIQuj 'ej 'e' mu'oy'moH
> 3 days ago I played squash and because of that, I ache!

pujwI'!

The first part is okay.  The second part gets into trouble.  You use {'e'},
but you want to say "*because* of that."  As far as we know, you cannot add
noun suffixes to the pronoun {'e'}, so *{'e'mo'} is out of the question.

It's not really necessary to have two sentences seperated by {'ej} here.  Do
it like this:

wejHu' "squash" vIQujmo' jI'oy'taH.
Because I played squash three days ago, I'm in pain.

I didn't use {mu'oy'moH}, because that means "it makes me ache."  What is
"it"?  The playing of squash?  That was your first sentence.  You're not
allowed to do sentence-as-subject!

I also added the aspect suffix {-taH}, because I assume this pain is not a
one-time affair, but is continuously bothering you.

hmmm . . . chay' "squash" Qujlu'?  yIQIj.  tlhIngan Hol Dalo'laH'a'?  chaq
Qatlh . . .

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian