tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Apr 27 00:34:59 1997

RE: KLBC: Practicing with questions

[email protected] on behalf of [email protected] wrote:
> In a message dated 97-04-21 20:31:57 EDT, SuStel writes:
>
> << No, that's worse.  For example, {paq nuq} means "what is the book?"  It
>  shouldn't also mean "the book's what" or "which book."  {nuq} is a question

>  word, not a pronoun.
>   >>

> bIlughbe' SuStel
>
> "What is the book?" wIjatlhmeH {nuq 'oH paqvetlh'e'} wIjatlhnIS
>
> "Which book" 'oSba' {paq nuq}

***Bzzzzt!***  Sorry, thank you for playing.

On the MSN Marc Okrand forum, Okrand himself told us that "<noun> nuq" means
"what is <noun>."  For example, {yIH nuq} "what is a tribble?"

> This refers to "what book of a set of books (plural)."  Although TKD has not
> established how we say "which book," this discussion list has determined
this
> usage to be proper.

"Why don't you tell him about his great consolation prize!"

*YOU* may have determined this, but the e-mail list has done no such thing.

> We have two ways to expand tlhIngan Hol:  wait for Marc
> Okrand to produce everything before we use it and, by sticking strictly to
> the rules and logic of the language, produce new sentences from the existing
> language.

WHY DO YOU WANT TO EXPAND KLINGON?!?  Learn to use it fluently first.  If
you'd be willing to walk up to a Klingon and tell him "Your language is wrong.
 Here's how you *should* be saying it," then you'd be either very brave or
very foolish.

> {nuq} already exists.  We are merely using it in a logical manner,
> but a different manner than explicitly discussed already in TKD.

That logic you refer to is not the only valid argument, and it is not borne
out in canon.  You *may* be right, but there's no good reason for me to
believe so.

> The
> publication of Hamlet, although not canon, followed much discussion of the
> topnotch Klingonists on this listserv; and, NOUN + nuq appears to have
become
> the preferable way of translating "which NOUN."

Heh . . . I have bad news for you: *I'm* the editor for the next Shakespearean
restoration, "Much Ado About Nothing," and you ain't gonna find this
construction in it!  (At least, not that I caught.  Still, it's very likely
that Okrand's new book will invalidate a lot of the grammar in it.)  Kinda
puts a damper on the call to Shakespeare . . .

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level