tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Apr 25 00:04:52 1997

Re: KLBC: Practicing with questions

In a message dated 97-04-21 20:31:57 EDT, SuStel writes:

<< No, that's worse.  For example, {paq nuq} means "what is the book?"  It
 shouldn't also mean "the book's what" or "which book."  {nuq} is a question
 word, not a pronoun.

bIlughbe' SuStel

"What is the book?" wIjatlhmeH {nuq 'oH paqvetlh'e'} wIjatlhnIS

"Which book" 'oSba' {paq nuq}

This refers to "what book of a set of books (plural)."  Although TKD has not
established how we say "which book," this discussion list has determined this
usage to be proper.  We have two ways to expand tlhIngan Hol:  wait for Marc
Okrand to produce everything before we use it and, by sticking strictly to
the rules and logic of the language, produce new sentences from the existing
language.  {nuq} already exists.  We are merely using it in a logical manner,
but a different manner than explicitly discussed already in TKD.  The
publication of Hamlet, although not canon, followed much discussion of the
topnotch Klingonists on this listserv; and, NOUN + nuq appears to have become
the preferable way of translating "which NOUN."

batlh Sachjaj tlhIngan wo' tlhIngan Hol je     Qapla'

peHruS

Back to archive top level