tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Apr 25 07:24:39 1997

Re: Traveller's Phrasebook

At 12:34 AM 4/25/97 -0700, peHruS wrote:
>In a message dated 97-04-23 05:50:29 EDT, ter'eS writes:
>
><< Some of these phrases probably don't really have Klingon equivalents, but
> tried to
> fill in every slot with something that would get the traveller's point
>across
> without putting the speaker in physical danger. >>
>
>leghwI'pu'vaD mu'tlheghmey ngaSbogh PK CK je vIlo' 'e' vImaS
>naDev mu'tlheghmey Daqonpu'bogh mu'tlheghmey 'op qelchu'be' tlhIngan nugh
>
>I prefer to stick to the travellers' guide conversational phrases in CK and
>PK.

Where exactly in PK or CK is the phrase "How much do we owe for the things
we broke"?
Or the phrase, "Our guide didn't tell us there was a war going on."

> Some of the phrases you have posted here just do not fit in Klingon
>society.

Seems to me I just acknowledged that fact in the sentence you quoted above.
The Phrasebook is just an interesting exercise in expressing various
concepts.  No
one is trying to pretend that this is a Klingon speaking; this is a tourist.
Sure,
a Klingon wouldn't say many of these things.  The point is, can a tourist
say these things in intelligible Klingon (in other words, can _Klingon_ be
used to express these ideas)?  You're certainly free to use (or not) any
phrases you prefer, but can you say categorically that what I wrote in the
Phrasebook is _wrong_?

>peHruS

-- ter'eS

Back to archive top level