tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Apr 25 07:47:16 1997

Re: Loose translation

*@#! I deleted the name of the poster of the following quote without
looking at it...
> > I can certainly imagine that the "under foot" phrase COULD have the
> > same connotation on *Qo'noS as it does here.

SuStel replied to that:
> You're trying to see if a bunch of Terran natives can understand the
> concept? Er . . . most, if not all, of the list members have some
> English, and none of them are native Klingon speakers.  Exactly who is
> supposed to tell you of the phrase's conceptual validity?  Actually,
> I'd be more interested in hearing from those who have something other
> than English as their native language tell us if the "under foot" phrase
> translates into *their* languages.  If not, then we can be sure that the
> phrase is not literally true, and therefore not necessarily valid in
> Klingon.

well, I would have to look up what it means in German, so probably it
doesn't translate - "unter Fuss" doesn't make sense to me...
but anyway, I would read the Klingon as either "under _a_ foot",
"under _the_ foot", "under _feet_" or "under _the_ feet"
I don't know if any of these would have the same meaning in the
given context

HomDoq

Back to archive top level