tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Apr 21 16:47:30 1997

RE: KLBC: Practicing with questions

[email protected] on behalf of Marian Schwartz wrote:
> ghItlh SuStel
> >There's hot debate as to whether you can say {nuq <noun>} for "which
> ><noun>."
> >Personally, I am dead set against it without confirmation by Marc Okrand
> >himself.  There's always another, more Klingon way to say it, anyway.  More

> >Klingon, because it doesn't require using lots of nouns.  Klingon is a
> >language of verbs, use them a lot!
>
> I agree.  But I think a good way would be {<noun>mey nuq}; "What of the
> <noun>s?"  Hypothetical, of course, and feel free to contradict me, but I
feel
> it makes much more sense than {nuq <noun>}.

No, that's worse.  For example, {paq nuq} means "what is the book?"  It
shouldn't also mean "the book's what" or "which book."  {nuq} is a question
word, not a pronoun.

Unfortunately, TKD just tells us it's all lumped into {chuvmey}, so that
doesn't help us . . .

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian