tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Apr 23 21:03:10 1997

Re: -moH

tlhob qoror:
>	Does anyone see anything wrong with using a verb with "-moH" statively?

I certainly do!  Causation is *not* a state.  It is definitely an action.

Perhaps you meant "adjectivally"?  No good.  Quoting from TKD 4.4:
"...A verb expressing a state or quality can be used immediately following
a noun to modify that noun.... [T]he verb,...when used to modify the noun
in this way, can have no other suffix except the rover {-qu'} _emphatic_."

Perhaps you meant "intransitively"?  That's probably okay.  Consider the
sentence {jIghojmoH} "I teach."  It can be a bit odd, though, with some
verbs: {jISalmoH} "I cause to ascend."  It's exactly the same sort of
sentence as {jIghojmoH}, but since there's no simple English equivalent,
it doesn't translate as smoothly.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level