tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Apr 23 20:47:43 1997

RE: Loose translation

ja' SI'IluD:
>...I was asking what the problem was with my sentence. I am trying to
>expand my abilities by using and translating concepts.

By trying to translate "underfoot" as {qam bIngDaq}, you appear to be
ignoring the concept and just translating the words.

>I can certainly imagine that the "under foot" phrase COULD have the same
>connotation on *Qo'noS as it does here.

While it indeed could, it as easily could not.  It's probably best not to
presume too much about Klingon idiom.

>I am probing for concept recognition here. I want
>to know if I am understood conceptually. I think that I am beyond the
>literal interpretation phase.

I didn't recognize the concept until I saw the English translation of
your sentence.  Unless there's some context behind it, the only way I
can interpret a sentence is literally, and an isolated sentence *has*
no context.

>toH, jItlhobqa'
>jIghitlhDI' <qam bIngDaq targhlIj tu'lu'> jIyajlu''a'

qayajbe'pu' jIH.
targhDaq Qamlu'bogh vIleghlaw' mu'mey vIlaDDI'.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level