tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Apr 22 19:05:18 1997

RE: KLBC: ST6

On Tue, 22 Apr 1997, DaQtIq wrote:

|"Mago"vaD jang SuStel:
|>That's "country which we do not discover." I think a more appropriate phrase
|>would be {Hatlh tu'be'lu'pu'bogh} "country which one has not discovered," or
|>"country which has not been discovered."
|
|Since "The Undiscovered Country" is a quote from Hamlet, I used the
|restored line from the Klingon, which is <qo' tu'be'lu'bogh> (at least
|that's how I remember it. Anybody have their copy of Hamlet handy? Act
|III, scene 1.)

But that the dread of something after death,--
The undiscover'd country, from whose bourn
No traveller returns,--puzzles the will,
And makes us rather bear those ills we have
Than fly to others that we know not of?

ghaH ghIjmo' DuHvam:
Hegh tlha' vay':
Hegh tlha' qo''e' tu'bogh pagh.
not chegh lengwI'ma', qo'vetlh veHmey 'elDI'.
vaj Seng DIghajbogh, lajtaHmeH qaq law';
latlh DISovbe'bogh, ghoSchoHmeH qaq puS.  (KLI Hamlet, p. 81)

|<qo'> is a better word for 'country' in this context than <Hatlh> also.

Absolutely. For Hamlet, death is the unknown and frightening "world to
come," not a stroll in the countryside (Hatlh), or Elysian Fields. veH Qav
'oH Hegh'e'--"the final frontier"--so to speak.

-- Voragh

Back to archive top level