tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Apr 22 10:04:00 1997

Re: KLBC: first log

> > tlhingan Hol QonoS vIghItlh wa'Dich nID jIH tu'lu'.
>
> Remember to include the English equivalent of what you're trying to say.  I'm
> not sure I understand this.

	I thought: There is my first attemp to write a log in Klingon

> Perhaps you mean this is your first attempt at writing a log.  {wa'DIch} and
> any other ordinal numbers come after the NOUN they modify.  They do not modify
> verbs.
>
> tlhIngan Hol QonoS wa'DIch vIghItlh 'e' vInID.
>
> Remember to use {'e'} or {net} with a sentence-as-object, and the appropriate
> verb prefix.
>
> > Qaghmey law' Sutu'bej, 'ach jInIDnIS.
>
> Yes, we do.  {Su-} is a suffix indicating no object.  But there is an object!
> {Qaghmey law'}.
>
> Qaghmey law' botu'bej, 'ach jInIDnIS.
>
> > wa'Hu' tlhingan Hol vImughqa'.
>
> Yesterday you resumed translating Klingon?
> 	 "Yesterday I resumed to translate the TKD (into portuguese)

> > mu'mey loQ vIlo' jIH QatlhmeH, qejghach cha'
> > qoj wej
> > ghajmo'.
>
> Oh, dear.I don't follow this.  If you want the adverbial to come *after* the
> object, you must add {-'e'} to the object.
> What's difficult?  {QatlhmeH} "in order that it is difficult."  This wasn't

	The difficult is to find the right word. Sometime english words has more than 1
meaning (of course we know the context), but only in translations, when you analise
only "fragmented"  words (far from context), it's quite difficult.

> intended as an infinitive, was it?  Remember, Klingon does not have
> infinitives, and {-meH} clauses must come at the beginning of a sentence.

	Ok! I'll try to remember.

> {qejghach} is a marked word.  Okrand has told us that using {-ghach} without
> an intervening suffix is marked usage, and not used in normal conversation.

	Again, the same problem of the other msg! (explanations and examples for ghach)

> You cannot say "two or three" like this.  If anything, these will act as
> nouns, but you're using the verb conjunction!  Klingons prefer accuracy!
> Choose one!

	But, when there are "more than one"?  How can I say it?

> > DIvI'Hol vItu'be' mu'mey: nuq <boot spike qoj ponytail> ?
>
> Yikes!  What is your subject, and what is your object?
> DIvI' Hol mu'meyvam vItu'laHbe': "boot spike" "ponytail" je.

	Ops ... I changed the object/subject.

> A boot spike is the pointy thing at the toe of a Klingon's boot.

	Hummm ... okay!  :))

> A ponytail is hair gathered into a length and tied.

	My goondness ... it's too specific!!! I don't have long hair and I'm too far
to be a Klingon.

> > Dahjaj yap tu'lu'.
>
> Get your capitalization right!  {yap} is a verb, not a noun, so you cannot
> find {yap}.  You might just say {pItlh}.

	Okay ... problems to concatenate the ideas. I current language I use many expressions
and most of them are untranslated. I must be familiar with Klingon expressions to use the
right sentences .. or .. I lost

> > Salegh
>
> There may be controversy as to whether or not Klingons greet each other and
> say goodbye the way Terrans do, but they certainly wouldn't translate over
> "I'll see you."  Either end the message, or say something which we know is
> acceptable, like {Qapla'} (well, actually, there's problems with this, too . .
> .).

	Qapla'

--
Francisco Fonseca; Eduardo "Edy" Fonseca
Belo Horizonte MG - Brasil

Back to archive top level