tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Apr 21 17:26:18 1997

Re: bo'DIjDaq jajmeywIj

|BTW, What should I have used instead of pumwI' for the "accused"?
|   pumwI' = accuser (wrong in my usage)
|   pummoHboghwI' ?= accused (i.e. one who causes accusation)
|   ghot pumlu' = person they accuse (I like this one the best so far)
|He's not a <HeSwI'> until proven guilty right? (At least in the US system).
|
|SI'IluD

HeSwI'Hey? -- probably as close as Klingons would come to the US legal
assumption of innocence or, at least, not the absolute assumption of guilt
(for that use {HeswI'na'} which you can also use after conviction). If
however you were convinced s/he had been falsely accused or framed, you
would use {HeSwI'qoq}. I think in this case, using {-law'} on the *verb* is
probably the best way to indicate "any uncertainty on the speaker's part"
(cf. TKD p. 40).

Speaking of legal terms, don't forget {pIch} "blame" -- defined on MSN as
"Verb, to accuse someone of wrongdoing." (FWIW!) Oddly enough, Okrand
didn't come up with Klingon equivalents for "prosecutor", "lawyer",
"accused" or even "judge" for ST6 which prominently featured a Klingon
trial!

Back to archive top level