tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Apr 21 17:04:18 1997

RE: KLBC: Highlander quotes

[email protected] on behalf of %27elren Sogh wrote:
> Over the weekend I was reading some rules for playing Highlander
> type immortals in a roleplaying game,

For GURPS?  I've read a number of variations of Highlander campaigns.

> maSaHpu' net Sovpu'be', 'ach DaH Sov
> No one has known we where among you, until now...
> (lit. One has not known we were present, but now they know...)

The number one rule: don't put aspect suffixes on the second verb of a
sentence-as-object construction!  You've got {-pu'} on both {SaH} and {Sov}.

Also: the correct suffix would be {-taH}, not {-pu'}.  Remember, aspect is not
tense.  Using {-pu'} indicates that the action is completed.  Using {-taH}
does NOT mean that it isn't in the past.

maSaHtaH net Sovbe' 'ach DaH SovchoH.

Actually, I think the indefinite subject is not as good as this:

maSaHtaH 'e' Sov pagh, 'ach DaH choHchoH ghu'.
No one knew we were present, but now the situation begins to change.

> jubwI' yInHoS DaHottaH
> The sensation your feeling, is the Quickening!
> (lit. You are feeling the immortal's life energy!
> Quickening is defined as the life energy of imortals)

I don't think {Hot} is "sense," it's "touch."  You cannot touch the
Quickening.  We don't have a catch-all word for "experience."

SoHDaq jubwI' yInHoS Datu'.
You find the immortal life energy in yourself.

> rInmeH, wa' yInlaH neH
> In the end, there can be only one!
> (lit. in order to finish, only one can live!)

{rInmeH} is "in order to be finished," but it's okay.  This line kinda loses
it's power when stretched out like this.  {neH} will have to follow {wa'}
because we're talking about "only one," not "merely live."  Watch your order,
too.

rInDI', yIn wa' neH

Or even just

wa' neH!

> In the last one, i wasn't sure whether to have rInmeH at the
> beginning, or the end of the sentence.

Well, I didn't like the {-meH} anyway, but anytime you use a {-meH} clause to
modify a sentence, it must come at the beginning.

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level