tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Apr 20 18:02:10 1997

Re: KLBC: qay'?

On Fri, 18 Apr 1997, William H. Martin wrote:

> According to Marian Schwartz:

> > 	Can "qay'" be used adjectivally?  "Problematic" or something like that?
> > Qapla'
> > qoror
>
> Good question. Since it is listed as a "to be" type verb, I
> would expect that it could be used as such, though I'd have a
> little trouble translating it smoothly into English.
> "Problematic" would probably be the polite way to translate it,

I guess the only problem is to find out whether we can string a verb with
qay, eg. "Qongqay" for say "sleepily". Though I feel we may have to put a
restriction on how viable this logic is. Verbs like "qip" (to hit) and
"legh" (to see) would not follow the same run of logic, else we'd end up
with:

qipqay (hittingly, which does not make sense...)
leghqay (seeingly, which also does not make sense...)

Qapla'

Name : Q'ISto'va (Eliseo Christopher d'Annunzio, Esquire)
Email: [email protected]
URL  : http://www.progsoc.uts.edu.au/~qris

Back to archive top level