tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Apr 20 17:51:44 1997

Re: SopDaq

On Fri, 18 Apr 1997, William H. Martin wrote:

> NO! NO! A THOUSAND TIMES NO! How many times do we have to
> explain that QongDaq is a noun because Okrand says it is a noun
> and Qong is NOT a noun UNTIL Okrand says it is a noun?

Exactly, we know that Qong is "to sleep" (verb), and it has remained this
way since Okrand made it so... -Daq is a locative designating
position/place, and so naturally QongDaq is a position/place one would
execute the verb/action "to sleep", ie a bed. But I doubt we could go any
further than that... Like we have many times stated, tlhIngan Hol is not
the same as English.

> Will this ever sink in?

We can only hope...

> QongDaq is not a noun plus the locative
> suffix. It is not a compound noun formed with the noun for
> "place". QongDaq is a two syllable noun meaning bed. PERIOD.
> That is ALL that it is.  Attempts to analyze it based upon the
> individual syllables is massively misguided. Yes, you can see
> patterns in it. No, those patterns are not valid observations.

As I said before... Though not in so many words...

> Klingon has irregularities, just like other languages. Deal
> with it.

True... anyways, Qapla'

Name : Q'ISto'va (Eliseo Christopher d'Annunzio, Esquire)
Email: [email protected]
URL  : http://www.progsoc.uts.edu.au/~qris

Back to archive top level