tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Apr 20 09:47:08 1997

RE: Misc Questions

|Miikka-Markus Alhonen wrote:
|> How would you say International (Inter-Terran) or Local?
|
|These are things which you're just going to have to include in context.  You
|know, among sentences like {naDev betleHmey DIngev} "We sell {betleH}s here."
|There IS the word {nov} . . .

... which you could contrast with {Sung}.  Glen Proechel translates his
"Interstellar Language School" as {Hovmey joj Hol DuSaQ} -- not that we
have a way to say "nation/country" or "state/province". There are words,
however, for "government" {qum} and "empire" {wo'}.

|> How can I say like this: beautiful, more beautiful, the most beautiful...
|
|You're really pulling these things out of context!  Don't try to translate
|bits and pieces, translate whole concepts.
|	[...]
|Beautiful is {'IH}.  To say "more beautiful," you must say what is more
|beautiful, and what is more beautiful than.  Use law'/puS.  For example:
|	[...]
|"The most beautiful" is the same thing, with {Hoch} "everything" substituted
|in for the lesser of the two:
|
|SuStel

Depending on the context, {'IHqu'} or {'IHchu'} may work. It depends on
what you're really trying to say.

-- Voragh

Back to archive top level