tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Apr 19 23:26:45 1997

RE: Misc Questions

On Tuesday, April 15, 1997 3:12 PM, [email protected] on behalf of
Miikka-Markus Alhonen wrote:

> How do you translate site, WWW-site, WWW, link, Internet, Javascript,
> homepage and something else like those?

Your best bet it NOT to translate them.  There are no words for these things
in Klingon.  Heck, there aren't words for these things in MOST languages.

> How would you say International (Inter-Terran) or Local?
> Is there a word to version or company?

These are things which you're just going to have to include in context.  You
know, among sentences like {naDev betleHmey DIngev} "We sell {betleH}s here."
There IS the word {nov} . . .

> Is this sentence right:
>
> Quj DaQujqang'a'
>
> should be: "Do you want to play a game?"

It's good.  Actually, you don't really need to use {Quj} as both noun and
verb, since the game part is incorporated into the verb.  {bIQujqang'a'?}

A more literal version would be

bIQuj DaneH'a'?

> How can I say like this: beautiful, more beautiful, the most beautiful...

You're really pulling these things out of context!  Don't try to translate
bits and pieces, translate whole concepts.

Beautiful is {'IH}.  To say "more beautiful," you must say what is more
beautiful, and what is more beautiful than.  Use law'/puS.  For example:

bangwI' 'IH law' banglI' 'IH puS.
My love is more beautiful than yours.

"The most beautiful" is the same thing, with {Hoch} "everything" substituted
in for the lesser of the two:

bangwI' 'IH law' Hoch 'IH puS.
My love is the most beautiful of all.

> How can I say: "You're not my friend". Is it something like qajupbe'???

No.  {jup} is a noun and cannot take verb affixes.  See TKD 6.3.

jup SoHbe'.
You are not my friend.

--
SuStel