tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Apr 19 23:26:44 1997

RE: SopDaq

jatlh peHruS:

> In a message dated 97-04-11 22:37:05 EDT, SuStel writes:
>
> << hat's because it's a noun compound, and was fairly obvious in the
>  accompanying context.
>
>  > We know that {QongDaq} is canon for "bed."
>
>  That's right.  We know that because *Okrand* told us. >>
>
> This implies that {Qong} is a Noun, which I cannot find glossed anywhere.

No, it does NOT imply this.  It implies, and indeed explicitly states, that
{QongDaq} is a noun.  It does not tell us anything at all, nothing whatsoever,
about the derivation of {QongDaq}.  It is almost certainly not a noun plus
{-Daq}, because we can also say {QongDaqDaq}.

>  So, I suppose it is a Noun for which we do not have a translation.

No.  {QongDaq} is a noun for which we have a translation.  {Qong} is a verb
for which we have a translation.  That's ALL we have.  {QongDaq} cannot be
arbitrarily split by you or me, only Okrand can discover its derivation.

SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian
Stardate 97301.1

Back to archive top level