tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Apr 18 06:34:50 1997

Re: KLBC: Speers pojwI'

According to Bill Willmerdinger:

> William H. Martin wrote:
>
> > update the pojwI' dictionary on two PCs, my MS Access database,
> > my Pilot palmtop and the online dictionary (which I REALLY want
> > to update soon!) I've gotten a bit scattered, 'ach jIqIm vIneH.
>
> Dojqu'!  I've got just the WordPerfect dictionary, which needs another
> proof-reading; that's enough of a pain!

Each of my dictionaries has a reason. The Word one was first. I
liked it because I could make a paper copy I could carry
around. I could use my version of Lawrence's pIqaD font and my
own ligature font (where I type "x" and it shows "tlh") so I
enter the word once, copy it and change the font, and I can see
it both Romanized and in pIqaD. I cited sources for each word
outside of the main word list in TKD and generally built it up
to be a good word list.

I made the Pilot version because I can look things up faster in
it than I can with a paper manual, it is smaller and fits in a
pocket better and it is easier to update on the spot when I
learn anything new about a word. I can't add a lot of
annotation to it because that throws off keyword searches for
the English words.

MS Access allows me to add all the annotations I like and if I
ever fill in the data, I can catalog the use of each word in
canon. I'm simply behind in updating it.

The online list is a service to the KLI. It is meant to be
different kinds of tools to people at various levels of
dedication to the language. For the serfs, it is a third
dictionary (supplementing the two in TKD). For those creating
their own dictionaries, it is a place to find most of the
additional words with notes as to source. Those who are truely
interested in the language should check those sources.

The reason I try to consistently cite sources is to avoid the
{'i'} phenomenon, and so we can respond to discoveries like
Okrand's recent statement that the extra definitions on the MSN
site were not of his making. I intend to go back and remove all
my MSN citations unless they are citing messages written by
Okrand.

> Yes, exactly.  This is my biggest concern with using WordPerfect.  I
> began the project with an old copy of dBase III, but that got to be too
> inflexible for me.  Perhaps a more modern database would remove my
> objections to doing it that way, but I worked with what I had, and
> decided that using the word processor was easier.

I recommend MS Access. I can even use the pIqaD font...

> I have some comments regarding the web page for you, if I can find the
> piece of paper I wrote them down on.  A couple were the result of my
> talk with Okrand, others were observations and a typo I noticed.

The typo I know about is veqlargH, which was generated by my
search and replace contortions moving from my ligature font to
ASCII. It is fixed in a minor update I already have but have
not uploaded because I know I have more work to do on it.

Meanwhile, I still think the list is quite useful with a ratio
of errors to entries at LEAST as good as TKD... {{:)>

> --
> Qob la' (tlh.w.D. quttaj ra'wI')
> tlhIngan Hol yejHaD qhojwI'
>
> [email protected]