tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Apr 16 14:53:43 1997

Re: pronunciation of tlh-H

On 15-Apr-97, Mark E. Shoulson wrote:
>>Date: Sat, 12 Apr 1997 11:21:21 -0700 (PDT)
>>From: Carey and/or Bryce Fields <[email protected]>
>>
>>I have heard from one source (who's reliability I am not sure of) that
>>Okrand "borrowed" the sounds of the Klingon alphabet from known terran
>>languages.  Can anyone confirm this source?

>It's hard (but not impossible) to make up usable sounds that *some*
>language hasn't already used somewhere (I think I can think of a few, but I
>haven't researched them and hardly know ALL languages to check).

I know I'm new to this list, and it isn't really my place to disagree, or what ever, but.  Surely it is BETTER that Okrand SAID that he has 'Borrowed' some sound from other languages, rather than just using them, and claiming that HE made them up??  There have been many Terren languages, and it is, as ppl have pointed out, very likely anyway that some sound have been used before, and if you think about it, if the sounds haven't been used before, then their probably VERY hard for a Terran to say. I think that at the least, if Okrand was going to 'steal' sounds, then at least he took the most strange ones from VERY old languages.

One point this raises, IMO, is this: Did Okrand think of a sound, tlh, and then find out that there was an aztec sound that was/is simmilar, or did he just find a cool aztec sound, and THEN put it into his language?

Mark Beal

(no cool "tlh"Ingan name yet, any idaes??)

Back to archive top level