tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Apr 16 09:11:51 1997

Re: "verbs of saying" when you're not "saying"

:	qoror here.  I have something interesting to bring up (I think).  To
: quote TKD, "... with verbs of saying (say, ask, tell, etc.) 'e' and net
are not
: used."  Well, think about this.  Say somebody gives a lower officer an
order by
: long distance.  For instance, he might really write it down (don't ask me why)
: or something else.  But in doing it, he doesn't actually -speak-.  In the
: sentence, you use the word "ra'," and it's a sentence-as-object construction.
: Do you use "'e'?"

Is {ra'} a "verb of saying"? I suspect it might be. After all, Okrand didn't
give us the complete list of these on purpose--to give himself more
flexibility in future. Unfortunately, it isn't used in a SAO construction in
canon so I don't think we can say either way:

ra'  order, command (v.)
 - qara'DI'  TKD
    as soon as I command you
 - cha yIbaH qara'DI' = qara'DI' cha yIbaH  TKD
    Fire the torpedoes at my command.
 - qara'pa'  TKD
    before I command you
 - chay' jura'  TKD (also used in ST3 & ST6)
    What are your orders? ("How do you command us?")
 - ra' qarghan HoD  S7
    [The Pagh is] under the command of Captain Kargan.
    ("Capt. Kargan commands [it]." or "Capt. Kargan commanding.")

Somebody want to go ask Maltz?

-- Voragh

Back to archive top level